Major function of the department is: -
- To maintain liaison with Subsidiary companies and Ministries, maintain Data Bank of various information/ reports of Statutory and non- statutory welfare activities of Coal India as whole (all subsidiary companies and CIL –HQ).
- Promotion of sports and games in the Subsidiaries and participation as well as hosting of different tournaments/ matches organized by All India Public Sector Sports Promotion Board.
- Coal India Sports Promotion Association (CISPA) is also an important work of Welfare Deptt for development of sports and infrastructure for promotion of sports at Subsidiary level as well as sponsoring major events of the country for image branding of the company.
- Providing the coverage of Coal India Post Retiral Medical Scheme for Executives – CPRMSE; issuance of medical cards and coordination with medical deptt to ensure smooth operation of the scheme.
- Nodal office for New Pension Scheme (NPS) for executives, coordination of the meetings of the Trust and related activities in close coordination with Finance deptt.
- Co-coordinating with concerned subsidiaries (ECL, BCCL & CCL) for grants-in-aid to privately managed school.
- Grants to Recreation Club, CIL (HQ) on annual basis for recreation of our employee- e.g. sports and cultural meets, excursions, holiday homes etc.
- Coordinating and maintaining the various welfare measures at CIL (HQ) level- e.g. Cafeteria for employees, new initiatives like setting up of Gymnasium, Creche etc., organizing various events like Independence Day, Republic Day, Gandhi Jayanti, Yoga Day, Constitution Day, Ambedkar Jayanti etc.